Men and women who have loose or missing teeth often choose dental implants—or their equally effective counterparts—All-on-4® dental implants to regain their oral function and aesthetics. If you’re dealing with the loss of most or all of your teeth, All-on-4® dental implants can provide you with all new teeth by using as few as 4 dental implants per arch of new teeth.
When Dr. Chang meets with patients about the All-on-4® dental implants option, one of the most common questions he’s asked has to do with caring for them. In order to educate his patients on this tooth-replacement option, Dr. Chang wants to answer this question now, so keep reading!
All-on-4® Dental Implants
All-on-4® dental implants are a revolutionary dental implant option that provides men and women with a less-invasive option to replace all of their teeth at one time. As we mentioned, the main difference between the All-on-4® dental implant option and traditional dental implants is the fact that patients can receive an entire arch of new teeth with as few as 4 dental implants, as opposed to traditional implants which need 1 dental implant per 1-3 teeth.
To place All-on-4® dental implants, Dr. Chang will first remove your existing teeth and strategically place your dental implants into the jawbone. These will act as the foundation for your new prosthetic teeth. After he has successfully placed your dental implants, Dr. Chang will place temporary replacement teeth while your implants fuse to your jawbone. Even though your temporary teeth are transitional, they will be functional during your recovery, and you’ll be able to resume most of your normal daily activities.
Once your All-on-4® dental implants have successfully fused with your jawbone, Dr. Chang will place your permanent crowns, and you’ll finally have new, beautiful teeth that look, function, and feel just like your natural teeth did.
Caring for Your All-on-4® Dental Implants
Because your new teeth are created to function and feel like natural teeth, you can care for them in the same way you did your natural teeth. Properly cleaning your teeth is vital to the success of your All-on-4® dental implants, so be sure you follow the guidelines Dr. Chang provides after your surgery.
Because All-on-4® dental implants are permanently affixed within the mouth, you may need to slightly alter the way you perform typical oral hygiene:
- Consider using a water pick to remove food debris from between your teeth and along your gum line.
- Pick up some Superfloss, which is produced by Oral B, to help better floss your teeth. This specially designed floss has a straight end that is very firm, which you can use to easily floss in between your dental implants and remove debris from the surface of your teeth as well.
- Choose a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your All-on-4® dental implants twice a day. Brush your teeth in the same way you would natural teeth.
- Don’t’ forget to brush your gums at the same time you brush your teeth, especially where the All-on-4® prosthesis meets the gum tissue.
- Consider wearing a nightguard if you have a habit of grinding your teeth at night. While your new prosthetic teeth will be very strong, over time, they could still wear down from persistent grinding.
- Be sure to you an antibacterial mouthwash once a day to effectively clean in those hard to reach places.
- Make and keep your biannual appointments with your general dentist for cleanings and check-ups.
Talk to Dr. Chang About All-on-4® Dental Implants Today
With years of experience providing the men and women with exceptional, high-quality care through restorative dental practices, Dr. Chang is the best choice when it comes to replacing your teeth with All-on-4® dental implants. To schedule your initial consultation at his Belmont office today, call him at (617) 489-1470.