Do you have a smile that you’d like to improve? Are you hoping for a more aesthetically pleasing smile, and/or to restore function to your mouth? If so, you may have begun researching the options that your Belmont dentist at the Dental Restorative Group can perform. And you may have come across two terms – a full mouth dental reconstruction and a smile makeover. The terms seem so similar, so what’s the difference? Which procedure is right for you? Read on as we explain the differences between a full mouth dental reconstruction and a smile makeover, and help you determine which procedure will give you the results you desire.
What is a Full Mouth Dental Reconstruction?
A full mouth dental reconstruction is when you undergo a series of dental procedures to restore both the function and aesthetics of your smile. Full mouth dental reconstructions are typically performed for Belmont residents who have a high number of missing and/or damaged teeth or advanced gum disease that is threatening the loss of teeth. Full mouth dental reconstruction restores a Belmont patient’s dental functionality, while also improving the aesthetics of his or her smile.
What is Included in a Full Mouth Dental Reconstruction?
A full mouth dental reconstruction can include a variety of dental procedures, including:
- Root canals to fix severely infected teeth;
- Tooth extraction to remove teeth that cannot be repaired with a root canal;
- Dental implants, which are titanium bars that are inserted into the jawbone and covered with crowns to replicate the look of teeth. Dental implants are the most permanent tooth replacement solution, and if treated properly, can last a lifetime;
- Crowns, to restore structural flaws;
- Dental bridges, which are a series of three or more connected crowns that are used to replace missing teeth. With bridges, the two end crowns are placed on your existing, healthy teeth and the middle crown or crowns replace your missing teeth; and
- Porcelain veneers, which may be used to cover chipped or discolored teeth that may be otherwise healthy.
What is a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover is a series of dental procedures that you undergo primarily for cosmetic purposes. For Belmont patients with healthy, but misaligned or gapped teeth, a smile makeover can transform a smile into a more aesthetically pleasing one, often boosting confidence and making patients want to show off their pearly whites more frequently.
What is Included in a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover combines a variety of cosmetic dental procedures, including:
- Teeth whitening, to brighten up discolored teeth;
- Porcelain veneers, which are a thin, shell like, layer of porcelain that are placed over existing teeth that have flaws, such as chips or discolored spots;
- Braces or Invisalign, which can be used to correct misaligned teeth; and
- Crowns, while typically a functional procedure, they can also be used to cover teeth that have unattractive flaws.
How Can I Determine if I Need a Full Mouth Dental Reconstruction or a Smile Makeover?
If you want a new smile, a visit with the Belmont Dental Restorative Group can help you determine if you are a candidate for a full mouth dental reconstruction or a smile makeover. Call our Belmont offices today at (617) 489-1470 to schedule your initial examination today.